Most of us believe that we can handle our alcohol use - but sometimes it can get out of control.
Alcohol is one of the oldest and most widely used drugs in the world. There are many reasons why people choose to drink alcohol. Trying something once or using occasionally does not automatically mean a person will develop problems. Most of us believe that we can handle our alcohol use - but sometimes it can get out of control. And it’s not just the person drinking who is affected. check your alcohol use
Alcohol, like other drugs, can cause problems depending on the way it is used and can result in injury, disease, and other negative consequences. It's important to be aware of what can happen so it doesn't cause problems for you down the road.
Potentially problematic forms of alcohol use include:
- Binge drinking (drinking large quantities)
- Driving after you have been drinking
- Using alcohol as a way of dealing with problems
- Mixing alcohol with other substances, including illegal drugs and/or some medications
Being able to make educated decisions regarding drinking alcohol can help to prevent alcohol from becoming a problem in your life. Understanding the effects of alcohol and the risks associated with alcohol use can help you in many ways:
- You can make a more informed decision about whether or not to drink
- If you choose to drink, you can make safer decisions about drinking
- You can reduce the risks associated with using alcohol, including injury, unwanted sex and being a victim of crime